G4 and TechTV

Podcasts, movies, music, TV, and the like.

Do you like or dislike G4 or TechTV?

Like G4
No votes
Dislike G4
25%
Don't know what G4 is or never seen it
25%
Like TechTV
25%
Dislike TechTV
No votes
Don't know what TechTV is or never seen it
25%

Total votes: 4

Pilot_51
Central computer (founder)
Xfire: pilot51
Steam: Pilot_51
Twitter: Pilot_51
Voice chat: Mumble, voice.pilot51.com, Pilot_51
Teams: X-Clan -(X)

G4 and TechTV

Post by Pilot_51 »

This is a rather simple question with a simple poll.
You can just vote, as I expect most people would be doing, but I encourage you to post a more detailed opinion about why you like or dislike them. It would also be interesting to hear how you found out about them or got interested in them.

Me? I found TechTV in 2001 on my Comcast basic cable, not long after I moved to Michigan. I was hooked almost instantly because I've always been interested in technology and I've never before seen a channel dedicated to discussing technology and with such a friendly atmosphere; they even had live chat (or delayed live) on screen for some of the shows. Even now I still haven't seen a channel or even a show that covers technology as good as TechTV did.
I enjoyed nearly all the shows, especially The Screen Savers, Extended Play (which became X-Play), Call For Help, and Tech Live.
When they started their weekly "LAN Party" on The Screen Savers, I always signed up for the ones for which games I had, which was most often BattleField 1942 and Unreal Tournament 2004. I managed to get on the high scores (on screen at the end of the show) twice, both for the Desert Combat mod for Battlefield 1942, on June 5th, 2003 and on June 3rd, 2004. I believe their LAN Parties started with Battlefield 1942, which was the first time I heard about it and when I saw it in action I instantly wanted it. I was still on a 350MHz PC at the time and had to upgrade in order to play it, so I upgraded right after I got it for Christmas in 2002 and started the new year off with what I believe is the greatest game I've ever played and still play.
Shortly after G4TechTV went to the Los Angeles studio during the transition to G4 in 2004, I was accepted to another Desert Combat LAN Party, which ended up being possibly the worst experience I've ever had on a server and especially any TV show related server. It took them half the show to even start the server and it only lasted 10 minutes before they shut it down again, it turns out the only reason they started it was to show for no more than 10 seconds that they were playing it on the show. The lag was horrendously unplayable for everyone, and what makes it worse was that they tried to cover up the fact that they were having problems, which is something the old TechTV never would've done (they actually admitted and took blame for their server problems, a Quake LAN Party is one that I remember it happened with). So, after G4 made that stupid mistake, I never watched G4 again and have faithfully boycotted them since.
About a year later, I came across the podcasts that the old TechTV crew were starting up, starting with This Week in Tech and Diggnation, and later DL.TV and The Chris Pirillo Show. As much as I miss TechTV, I've got to say that the podcasts that they've been doing are at least as good if not better, mostly because you get to see how they really are with their honest opinions and collections of gadgets, and they are often considerably more interactive with their viewers and listeners as is especially the case with Chris Pirillo who has an almost 24/7 webcam stream and a chat room which he talks to and takes questions every day for short video clips.

So, that's my (long) story. What's yours?
solar
Digital calculator

Re: G4 and TechTV

Post by solar »

I dont have that channel.
ImageI FREAKING LOVE THE BATTLEHAMMER!Image