Central computer (founder)
Xfire: pilot51
Steam: Pilot_51
Twitter: Pilot_51
Voice chat: Mumble, voice.pilot51.com, Pilot_51
Teams: X-Clan -(X)

BF1942 map: Battleship

Post by Pilot_51 »

Some of you probably know my first map, Stunting Grounds, which I've put a lot of time into over the years.
Well, I've made another map, this time much simpler and I doubt it can ever get very complicated since it's pretty much just water and ships. The compressed file size is very small, so dial-up is no excuse not to get it.

My dream for this map? Imagine 64 players and about 10 ships on each team scattered all over the huge map firing at each other. Now that would be something worth recording on video and maybe even turning into a short movie. Of course, 64 players would be extremely hard to come by these days now that BF1942 is fading in popularity.

The version history has been moved to http://pilot51.com/wiki/Battleship_(BF1942_map)

Latest version:
Battleship release 6 (SkyDrive, Zip, 190KB)
Battleship release 6 (SkyDrive, 7-Zip, 162KB)

Old versions (only in 7-Zip format, maximum compression):
Battleship release 5 (SkyDrive, 165KB) [Single player only, server crashes]
Battleship release 4 (SkyDrive, 156KB)
Battleship release 3 (SkyDrive, 153KB)
Battleship release 2 (SkyDrive, 152KB)
Battleship release 1 (SkyDrive, 631KB)
Last edited by Pilot_51 on Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PilotLN23
Digital calculator

Post by PilotLN23 »

AWESOME, I will play this map as soon as I download it and put it in the archives, keep making maps man, the stunting grounds was a sweet map and I'm guessing this one will be as great. Never stop doing what you are good at.
LakersForLife
Digital calculator

Post by LakersForLife »

pilot you got a link to the latest full patch? if you wouldn't mind uploading it, that'd be nice. i don't know which is the latest :?
Pilot_51

Post by Pilot_51 »

http://files.filefront.com/Battlefield+ ... einfo.html
http://files.filefront.com/Battlefield+ ... einfo.html

You need both of those. The first is a full 1.6 patch and the other is a 1.61b incremental patch. Don't ask me why they didn't make a full patch for the very last one, I think it's stupid that they didn't. Maybe EA fired the devs before they could make a full patch after finding out they weren't going to continue support for it or something like that.
LakersForLife
Digital calculator

Post by LakersForLife »

ah ok, now i know the problem with the patch. i installed only 1.6, not 1.6b incremental as well.
Pilot_51

Battleship release 2

Post by Pilot_51 »

Remember that larger map I mentioned that I said was far too big? Well, it turns out it's perfect when I increase the fog distance from 400 to 2000, which stretches about half the map or if you're in the middle you can see nearly the entire map. Now you can actually see ships far beyond the shooting range of any ship, which really encourages strategic approaches to known targets instead of easily sneaking behind the enemy under the cover of fog, and I find it looks a lot more realistic with distant ships looking like specks. With that said, I switched to the large map for release 2.
The major spawn bug is still there and it's my #1 priority, and believe me when I say it has me confused as well as one of my veteran mapper friends. I just wanted to get the large map out there so everyone could see how interesting such a long view distance is and practice long range direct targeting.

The zip file is even smaller than the last one, at 180KB, but the extracted rfa file is about 5 times larger than the last one. I think the reason for such a huge compression ratio is because the ocean floor is completely flat, which makes for a lot of repeating code for each height point, which is what compression depends on.

Download Battleship release 2: http://pilot51.com/games/bf1942/Battleship_r2.zip
Pilot_51

Re: BF1942 map: Battleship

Post by Pilot_51 »

Release 3 is out and the bug is fixed! Give it a try! Link and info is in the first post.